About Ryan Leach
As an 8 year old growing up in South Australia, Ryan Leach started studying guitar so that he could play Beatles songs, which marked the beginning of a lifelong passion for music. Now an award winning composer for Film and TV, his music has been heard on every major network and clients include MTV and Disney.
Before branching out as a freelance composer, Ryan earned a degree in Film Scoring from the prestigious Berklee College of Music and worked as assistant to veteran composer Michael A. Levine at Remote Control Productions, Hans Zimmer’s facility in Santa Monica. He has scored over a dozen feature films including Pastor Shepherd starring Danny Trejo (Robert Rodriguez’s Machete), Serbian film Skinning co-starring Bojana Novakovic (M. Night Shyamalan’s Devil), and Anacapa by writer/director Nicholas Tolkien.
In 2010 Ryan won Best Original Score from the Maverick Movie Awards for his score to Devils Racecourse. Previous winners include Philip Glass and Radiohead’s Thom Yorke.
Other credits include writing additional music for Jerry Bruckheimer’s hit shows Cold Case and Close to Home, technical score assistance on Bee Movie (score by Rupert Gregson-Williams), The Simpsons Movie, and The Dark Knight (scores by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard), and original music and arrangements for the Disney Princess homepage.
When he’s not writing music, you can find Ryan around the web:
- More credits and information on IMDB.
- Doing interviews at Project Arbiter, Composer Focus, Music Composer Blog, and Audiotuts.
- Contributing to SCOREcastOnline, an online resource empowering the professional film music community.
- At ShortOrderStrings.com, a company Ryan and his wife violinist Lydia Veilleux started in 2009 which provides fiddle, string quartet and string orchestra arrangements for songwriters and artists.
- At Audiotuts.com and ComposerFocus.com, where he writes tutorials and articles to teach musicians about the craft of composing.
Ryan currently lives in Los Angeles and can be contacted here.